About Me

My photo
United States
I'm just a girl trying to keep an eternal perspective on life, and live it to the fullest :)

Friday, May 6, 2011

Reflection: Heaven is for Real

Oswald Chambers (author of my favorite devo. My Utmost for His Highest) wrote, 



"There is nothing, naturally speaking, that makes us lose heart quicker than decay—the decay of bodily beauty, of natural life, of friendship, of associations, all these things make a man lose heart; but Paul says when we are trusting in Jesus Christ these things do not find us discouraged, light comes through them." The Place of Help, 1032 L

I don't know about you, but I find peace and comfort in knowing that our bodies won't last forever. This world filled with suffering and sadness will soon pass.
I recently finished reading Heaven is for Real.




 Here is a quick summary of the book, and from the book:
Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.
Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.
Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.
I have read other great books, such as Within Heaven's Gates, revealing a person's encounter of Heaven. I love imagining what it will be like to someday be in the Lord's glorious presence, and just soaking up the splendor of heaven! Heaven is for Real was refreshing and authentic. To have faith like a child, the Bible says that is what God calls us to do (Matt. 18:2-5). I love how matter-a-fact Colton is. I have a better picture in my mind of God the father, the Holy Spirit, Jesus, heaven, the other people in heaven, and the deep love He has for us. It's very personal. I wept at the part where he speaks of his sister who was miscarried. I know my child who was miscarried is up there too waiting to meet me!
Just like with anything, there are many cynics out there. I read this for pleasure, not as though it were the Bible. So, I am enjoying the message this story has, and basking in the love that our Heavenly Father has for each one of us! Draw close to Jesus, because there is a spiritual battle going on. Armageddon is nearer each day. Let's keep running with endurance the race that is set before us (Hebrews 12:1-3). 
I get excited (like a little kid going to a theme park) to think of all the wonderfulness that awaits those who make Jesus their Lord! I pray I see you there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment