About Me

My photo
United States
I'm just a girl trying to keep an eternal perspective on life, and live it to the fullest :)

Friday, March 18, 2011

Open Our Eyes and Hearts, Stretch Out Our Hands



What is the spectrum of your lenses when viewing the world? Do you see your home and neighborhood? What about your city, state, or country? Do you acknowledge and care about what most people overlook, and actually see the big picture?


Well, if you hadn't before, I am sure with the recent events in Japan, your view has been stretched a little further. Or, maybe you are like some who just choose to ignore it. You don't want to let the faces of those suffering penetrate your heart. You are on guard, or in fear. Trying to protect what little control of comfort in your life you have. Or, maybe you are just too caught up and busy in your own routine that you feel you don't have time to take an interest in outside affairs, again, ignoring them.  


Are you completely consumed with yourself? If you have a family, I am sure you extend your cares to them. So, is that enough to earn favor from God? Well, thankfully there is no "good deeds par level" which allows us into God's Kingdom. We are saved by grace through faith because of Jesus's sacrifice. Period. 


But sometimes I know Christians get caught up in the idea of being "good enough" to please God. No one is ever "good enough". We are all sinners,  but thankfully we all have the opportunity to accept God's gift of eternal life. This is only because of what He did for each one of us on the cross, not because of anything we could ever do.  


God calls us to be be fishers of men, its true. But, the act of service is not what it should be about. It is about our love for Jesus. Being so close to Him that we let Him guide our every step. When our priorities are in line, when our intimate relationship with God is first (not just doing things for Him. But, actually being in the Lord's presence.... continually seeking to more deeply know His heart), we allow Him to take us places beyond our natural abilities to serve others for Him. We can do more by coming to Him, weak and humble, than we ever could just on our own, with our human strength and gifts. 


So to wrap this all together, we can do something when times of tragedy hit! We can draw nearer to Christ! We can go harder after Him than ever before. We can let our hearts pour out as offerings to Him. As we seek Him, He will guide us and show us what to do! God doesn't just call the equipped, He equips the called (what a relief for me)!


Educate yourself by keeping up-to-date on our world's affairs by reading WORLD magazine (Today's News- Christian Views). I am blown away by the current events. At this moment while I am drinking my coffee and sitting in my warm comfortable home, many are suffering in inhumane circumstances, with pain and heartache beyond comprehension. 


As I read current events, I interject with scripture and prayer. I know God has this world, and each person in it, in the palm of His hand. He created and loves each person. His heart hurts when we hurt. 


Our mission as Christ followers is ultimately to lead others to Him. That they might find the peace that passes all understanding, the ever-present joy and hope found only through relationship with Jesus. Sometimes, we can meet their immediate physical needs, but that alone isn't enough. 


Our bodies are mortal, but our souls are immortal. Our time on earth is but a blink of an eye in comparison to the time we will spend in eternity. Let's live missional lives, with eternity in mind. Let's lead other's to know Jesus, so they too can live forever in God's perfect Kingdom- a place where all pain and suffering will be gone forever! Draw near to Him, and He will show you how you can make a difference in this world!!!


There are so many songs out today in Christian music that challenge us to live lives of passion and purpose. I love turning the radio on and having the music and lyrics minister to me. Keep your radio tuned to a good station (like K Love) to give you encouragement and keep your eyes focused on Him!


Here is one of many great motivating songs currently playing:





I Refuse by Josh Wilson


Sometimes I, 
I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone’s alright 
When I know they’re not.
This world needs God
But it’s easier to stand and watch. 
I could pray a prayer and just move on
Like nothing’s wrong.

But I refuse.
‘Cause I don’t want to live like I don’t care.
I don’t want to say another empty prayer.
I refuse to
Sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself.
I could choose
Not to move but I refuse.

I can hear the least of these 
Crying out so desperately, 
And I know we are the hands and feet 
Of you, oh god.
So, if you say move,
Then it’s time for me to follow through,
And do what I was made to do.
Show them who you are.


‘Cause I don’t want to live like I don’t care.
I don’t want to say another empty prayer.
I refuse to
Sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself.
I could choose
Not to move but I refuse.

To stand and watch 
The weary and lost 
Cry out for help.
I refuse
To turn my back 
And try and act like all is well.
I refuse
To stay unchanged,
To wait another day,
To die to myself.
I refuse
To make one more excuse. 

‘Cause I don’t want to live like I don’t care.
I don’t want to say another empty prayer.
I refuse to
Sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself.
I could choose
Not to move but
I refuse.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I've been reading your blog for awhile now. I find your dedication and way of expressing your faith so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete