Check it out: 1001 Uses for Vinegar and doityourself
FUN FACTS ABOUT VINEGAR:
- Vinegar has been used for 10,000 years. It just might be the world's oldest ingredient!
- The main uses for white distilled vinegar are cooking/food preparation and cleaning/disinfecting.
- The International Vinegar Museum is in Roslyn, South Dakota.
- The International Vinegar Festival is held every June in Roslyn, South Dakota.
- Consumers in the South buy and use more white distilled vinegar than in any other region of the country.
- Adding vinegar to baking soda produces a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide. This combination is often used to make a do-it-yourself erupting volcano.
- Pearls melt in white distilled vinegar.
- An egg softens in white distilled vinegar because the acetic acid dissolves the eggshell.
- Immersing a chicken bone in vinegar for 24 hours will make it rubbery.
- An open dish of white distilled vinegar will help remove paint smells from a room.
- Salad dressings, sauces, marinades, ketchup, mustard, and pickles are all made with white distilled vinegar.
- Vegetable vinegars are made with potato, cucumber, beet root, and tomato.
- Herb vinegars include thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, garlic and mint.
- The most popular herb-flavored vinegars use thyme and oregano.
- Fruit vinegars include apple cider, coconut, fig, black currant, pear, prune, raisin, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, peach, pineapple, and cherry.
- Cider vinegar is made from apples and is the most popular vinegar used for cooking in the United States.
- Raisin vinegar is produced in Turkey and used in Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Germany, Austria and the Netherlands make vinegar from beer.
- Italy and France produce a rare honey vinegar.
- Cane vinegar, made from sugar cane juice, is popular in the Philippines.
- Soothe a sore throat with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water and honey.
- Soak your feet in white distilled vinegar to stop athlete’s foot.
- Drink a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar to stop the hiccups.
- Pantyhose last longer when rinsed with water containing 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar.
- Massage white distilled vinegar into your scalp, rinse, then wash with regular shampoo and watch dandruff disappear.
- Spray white distilled vinegar on furniture to stop the cat from scratching it.